Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Resources to explore

In my research of Art Education and Home-Schooling throughout this past semester, I have compiled a list of links and books to peruse. I am currently writing up a few reflection papers on the topic to submit to my professor. I am including my list here for your interest, too. Some of the books I have read, and many are on my to-do-list.

With Student-teaching approaching for next semester, I probably will be taking a short recess from research and developing the thesis project. The experience will demand most of my attention and time. I intend to continue the blog, though. I hope to add insights and reflections from the public-school teachers' perspective.

I hope this helps some people out. Here goes:

Books:

1. Patricia Lines: “Homeschoolers: Estimating Numbers Growth”
2. NCES: “Issue Brief: 1.1 Million Homeschooled Students in the United States in 2003”
3. NCES: “Projection of Education Statistics to 2013”
4. Brian D. Ray: “Worldwide Guide to Homeschooling; Facts and Stats on the Benefit of Homeschooling”
5. John Cloud & Maggie Morse: “Home Sweet School”
6. Michelle Duggar & Andrea Cooper: “
7. Mitchell Stevens: “Kingdom of Children; Culture & Controversy in the Homeschooling Movement”
8. Howard Gardner: “Multiple Intelligences”
9. California Alliance for Art Education
10. Linda Jewell Carr: “Instructional Programs Used in Five North Carolina Counties”
11. Brian D. Ray: “Strengths of Their Own; Homeschoolers Across America”
12. Brian D. Ray: “Homeschooling on the Treshold
13. Chris Jeub: “Why Parents Choose Homeschooling”
14. Jane Van Galen & Mary Ann Pittman: “Homeschooling: Political, Historical, and Pedagogical Perspectives”
15. Pat Farenga: “Teach your own, The John Holt Book of Homeschooling”
16. Suzanne Stephens: “The New Pioneers: Black Homeschoolers
17. Chris Klicka: “The Right To Homeschool
18. John Holt: “How Children Fail: Revised”
19. William Upski Wimsatt: “No More Prisons”
20. Genevieve Vaughan-Jackson: “Sketching and Drawing for Children”
21. Mona Brookes: “Drawing With Children: A Creative Method For Adult Beginners Too”
22. Kat Rakel Ferguson: “Creative Kids Artistic Drawing”
23. MaryAnn F. Kohl: “Science Arts: Discovering Science Through Art Experiences”
24. MaryAnn F. Kohl: “Global Art: Activities, Projects, and Inventions from Around the World”
25. Alexandra M. Terzian: “The Kids’ Multicultural Art Book: Art & Craft Experiences From Around The World”
26. Arlette N. Bramen: “Kids Around The World Create!: The Best Crafts and Activities from Many Lands”
27. Jennifer Tjomas: “Masterpiece of the Month”
28. Kinghorn: “Let’s Meet Famous Artists”
29. MaryAnn F. Kohl: “Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Style of the Maters”
30. Joy Evans: “How To Teach Art to Children”
31. Darcie Clark Frohardt: “Teaching Art With Books Kids Love: Teaching Art Appreciation, Elements of Art, and Principles of Design with Award Winning Children’s Books”
32. M.L. Libby: “Using Art To Make Art”
33. Eric Booth: “The Everyday Work of Art: Awakening the Extraordinary in Your Daily Life”
34. Helen D. Hume: “A Survival Kit for the Elementary/Middle School ArtTeacher
35. Nancy Beal: “The Art of Teaching to Children: In School and At Home”
36. Helen D. Hume: “The A rt Teacher’s Book of Lists”
37. Barbara Mc Nally: “Complete Art Curriculum Activities: 150 Easy-To-Use Art Lessons in 8 Exciting Creative Media For Grades 1 – 8”
38. Angela Kesselring: “The inclusion of visual art in home education : a qualitative microethnographic case study”

Websites:

1. “A History of Public Education in the United States” by Deeptha Tattai
www.servintfree.net/~aidmn-ejournal/publications/2001-11/Publications.htm
accessed 10-16-2006 at 8:35 a.m.
2. “Federal Requirement for Homeschoolers Seeking College Admission and Financial Aid” author – HSLDA staff
Home School Legal Defense Association Website
www. Hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200306200306190.asp
accessed 10-30-2006 at 9:48 a.m.
3. “American Education History: A Hypertext Timeline” by Edmund Sass, Ed.D
www.cloudnet.com/~edrbsass/educationhistorytimeline.html
accessed 10-19-2006 at 12:50 p.m.
4.”A Brief History of Homeschooling” by Patrick Farenga, Copyright 2002
www.hsc.org/professionals/briefhistory.php
accessed 10-19-2006 at 1:16 p.m.
5. www.homeschoolarts.com

6. www.familyeducation.com/home-schooling/art/38701.html

7. www.homeschooled-kids.com/hssart.html

8. www.homeschooling.about.com/od/fineartsa/freeartsnews.html

9. www.homeschoolartvideos.com

10. www.homeschoolingonashoestring.com/art.html

11. www.cricketchurping.blogspot.com/2005/08/nada-on-art-for-homeschoolers.html

12. www.homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/explore/drawing

13. www.homeschoolcentral.com/resource/art.htm

14. www.christian-parenting-source.com/home-school-art-curriculum.html

15. www.windycreek.com

16. www.thejubileeacademy.org/blog/2006043w.html

17. www.thejubileeacademy.org/blog/2006073w.html

18. www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/show-activity.asp?which+882

19. www.creativeartsinaction.com

20. www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s+8threadid+364572

21. www.robinsoncurriculum.com

22. www.homeschool.com/bookstore/art.asp

23. www.artistshelpingchildren.org/artsarticles.html

24. www.homeschooling.suite101.com/article.cfm/teaching_art_at_home.html

25. www.teachathome.com/HSO/?group=TRLHSG

26. www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/waldorfgallery.html


Many thanks to CSULB Graduate Angela Kesselring for such an excellent thesis to start from, and also to blogger "Cricket" from whom many of the books on the list comes from. (#11 on the web links list). Of course, I welcome your input and resources, also. I will post them here if you like.

2 comments:

Bright Ring, art book author MaryAnn Kohl said...

Hello...and thanks for recommending books I have written. I'm so happy you feel they are important. I believe kids should explore and discover through art, maybe the last frontier of freedom little kids have in their over-scheduled, over-controlled little lives. THANK YOU!
MaryAnn F. Kohl
For free art ideas, visit: http://www.brightring.com

gasping for art said...

Thank you very much for your response! I always strive to support quality work in Art Education. I'm especially honored that you have noticed my own writings.

Please keep in touch - I look forward to hearing from you again.

-Mrs. B