The turnaround has been pleasant.
I brought lamps into the dungeon of a classroom. I made them myself, and laughed with my students about how ugly they are. I used full spectrum light bulbs, and now I don't get headaches from the flicker of the flourescent bulbs fighting with the flicker of the computer screens anymore. I have planted bulbs in little pots, and brought them to the room. Little buds of daffodils and bright yellow and red calla lillies will soon bloom. Student work adorns the walls, and brings more color - student ownership of the space. It's their work, their perspective, their perception, and it looks great up on the walls.
I'm talking with the students on the level about the gap between my hopes, intentions, and realities and limitations. They seem to respond better when they realize that I'm trying to make the best of their time in my room. They know they're being shafted in some ways, and I don't encourage them bashing others - but I don't censor their feelings, either.
The students have remarked how relaxed and welcoming it is in the room. Every day I have students in my room early, and at lunch. The change is very welcome - and I'm so grateful for it.
The next order of business is to really rev up the portfolios (including my own), expand some horizons, enter competitions, and have the class be a springboard for us all. May 23rd will come sooner than expected.

No comments:
Post a Comment