Thursday, February 21, 2008

motivating the unmotivated

By the time the end of the day comes, I get my class with the least amount of students. This may seem like a breath of fresh air, ending on a calm, mellow note - and I wish every single day that it could be. I wish I could get this group to work together, and put a full effort into their projects, instead of gossip and tearing others down.

I have a small clique of vapid, lazy, BORING young people. I don't know if they are like this in other classes, or with each other in the context of their greater public. I know that in my class, they bore the hell out of me. They seem to be so bright and insightful, but refuse to put more than the bare minimum to pass the class into their projects.

Sometimes I have to motivate myself to find something enjoyable about each person. I don't know - sometimes I get stuck with such small groups. I think I much prefer the energy and community of large classes.

No comments: