Saturday, June 27, 2009

A week without students, summer has begun

While each summer can slightly feel like a loss (loss of the daily routine, loss of contact with students, etc.) my teacher husband has been touched by loss. One of his students was killed while visiting family out-of-state. Wrong place, wrong time. Completely unexpected.

My husband's school is smaller than the one I work at, and they're famously close with one another. The students are very supportive of each other, and quite a true family. They'll all be in our prayers as they try to make sense of this loss.

I admit I worry about the livelihood of a few of my students. One or two in particular, I wonder if they're returning to school in the Fall, (any school if not ours) and hoping they don't get involved in anything they can't use their brains to get out of over the summer. I don't want to lose them. It's too easy in their neighborhood to get caught up in things that are destructive to their future. I hope they're as stubborn with their goals as they were with me at times in the classroom.

No comments: