Thursday, January 25, 2007

Jumping In

Monday is approaching quickly, and I'm mostly prepared.

I begin student-teaching on Monday. Two 3-D classes, and a ceramics course, a prep-period and an observations period.

My master teacher seems excited, and I am too. I am a little nervous, but not nervous enough to not enjoy the experience. I'm writing up some lesson plans as the little one is napping now. One of the lessons is in a medium that I'm not confident in - I don't have a strong background in fiber-arts, or basketry. That is what the lesson is on. I'm not sure that the lack of background is a bad thing, though. I'm hoping to focus more on the sculptural qualities of the project - which is where some of my strength lies. I'm just as excited to learn where the student's creativity lies, as I am about my own in creating an entirely new (to us)project. The ceramics lesson plan should come a bit more naturally - I just don't know how fast the students will work.

There are so many ideas floating in my mind now that I need to put down on paper, and activities, and assignments... but I am trying not to lose the sense of wonder and creativity, and least of all - the ability to spark the students' imagination, and encourage their own exploration. How do I reconcile the two worlds in the allotment of a 55-minute class period?

I feel like I'm suddenly seven years old again, at the basement of the local YMCA, standing at the edge of the giant pool, hearing the instructor: "okay, it's time to jump in."

No comments: