The first week was challenging as a student-teacher, but it was great! I am getting to know which are the students who demand more attention, which ones that may have hyperactivity of some sort, the charmers, the sneaks, and the ones who just want to learn.
I'm learning so much more about my community than I thought I would. Monday brought with it a faculty meeting at which the local gang task force spoke and presented some statistics. My master teacher asked if the presentation scared me - I think it surprised her that it didn't.
My challenges this week have ranged from bringing order to classes that at first viewed me as a substitute teacher, dealing with direct challenges to my 'authority', trying to learn 120 new names and faces, testing out an unfamiliar lesson plan to unfamiliar people, prepping for lessons that are not my own, writing yet another new format of lesson plans, but mostly: trying to keep a straight face when the kids crack me up.
The lessons I presented went well once I got the hang of it, and the students are becoming more involved and engaged each day.
The first week was a success. Yea!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment