Thursday, February 08, 2007

ending week 2

10 dozen donuts have been ordered for pick-up tomorrow on the way in to "work". Yes, I bribed my students. I'm embarrassed by it - but only a little.

I had a problem with tardiness from my students, until I blurted out a deal - without thinking about it. The normal consequence for tardiness is to get sent to SWAT. SWAT is an acronym (for what I don't know) - but it's basically a holding pen for students to go to if they're being disruptive - or tardy. It's a step below on-campus suspension.

My issue with SWAT is that it takes my students out and holds them in another room while I'm teaching their lesson without them. I have to catch them up the next day which is a waste of work time in the studio - and causes further discipline problems. My attention is diverted from those who need help with their work, and keeping the room manageable. SWAT carries no consequence from what I've seen - it's a glorified babysitter for near-adult students.

So, I cut a deal with them. If they all got to class and in their seats by the time the bell rang, I'd bring in donuts next week. They have actually done it so far. I know, I know - the week isn't over yet.... but there's something wrong about making someone prove that they're good enough before giving praise or rewards. They showed progress - and I'm not looking for perfection. I'll surprise them and let them know I'm proud of them (which I am).

I had a major success today in dealing with a 'passionate' student - who has trouble recognizing when he gets too excitable when he's happy, or too mean when he's down. We came up with a system that we are going to try. He knows his boundaries now, and I have a respectful manner of telling him when he's overstepped his boundaries. This was all done in a manner in which I treated him with respect, and talked to him like an adult - which is so IMPORTANT to this particular student. My master teacher was IMPRESSED. We'll see how the plan works out.

Other successes: my students' works are looking great, and it looks like we'll be finishing the 1st projects this week... then introducing my OWN lessons on Tuesday!. The long weekend is a blessing - I need to get my paperwork in order and set up a few small adjustments to the daily routine. Classroom management (as far as cleaning up clay and art supplies) has been challenging - but I'm going to implement some FLYlady routines for them (www.FLYlady.net). Master Teacher is being so generous with me - and allowing me to change the seating arrangement - even moving the tables around - to help switch up the tone in the room.

That's all the more reason to bring donuts - the Art Faculty have been supportive, realistic, and fun to be around. I'm looking forward to just saying "thanks, I appreciate you" to the students and faculty. The students were put in a position of having a new teacher with no prior notice at all. They've been getting to know me, and are trying to figure me out.

So, 45 students in 1st period, 45 students in 2nd period, and about 30-35 in 3rd period will be dining on donuts, thanked, appreciated, and told about some upcoming adjustments. It's a good way to start a three-day weekend... I hope. :-)

No comments: