I survived and conquered the California Credential dragon, and in the interests of my family's safety and well-being, we have fled the ghetto. My credentials were reciprocated here in Arizona, and we found a nice small town to teach in, and a dinky town right next to it to live in.
We're almost three months immersed in our new environment. Culture shock is an understatement. It's more like I've been stunned. I miss my "'hood rats". I miss all my friends who represent all corners of the globe, and all speak more then one language. Some of the things that I miss really surprised me. I absolutely miss being around people in the paint department at The Home Depot who know what gesso is.
The nearest art supply store is 50 miles away. The next-bigger one is 100 miles.
My VW (with original aircooled engine) has succumbed to the Arid-zona summer, blowing out 2 cylinders. And I left a HUGE VW community. Anyone with a VW understands - yet the air-heads are hard to find out here.
I'm a fish in the desert, without a bicycle - yet.
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment