I finally cancelled the tech order, and connected 4 of my 9 printers, so that my students could use them. They're not networked, they're only available at a few computers, I have to be super-watchful of supplies so we don't run through our annual budget in a week, but they're up and running.
I know I irritated tech suport. I don't really mind, though - since they didn't do the job anyway. It was a compromise I had to make in order to continue with my lessons and teaching. Now, if we only had the photo paper and inks I ordered three weeks ago. We need them in 4 days.
I'm discovering the chasm between what was said of this school/district/area and the reality of them all. However, the inefficiency, the waste, the money problems, the disconnect between teaching/learning and the businees of school - these are present at all schools, I think. I am observing the impact everything has on a school so very small - and so much is put on to teachers' shoulders because there aren't other people to lean on for the little things.
My Freshmen are surprising me, positively. :-) They're coming in to their own and becoming involved with the school and their student council duties.
Homecoming was a little strange. The returning alumni from 1987 behaved just like most of the students I see - cliquish, not accepting of anything new or different, and just happy enough to plod along and exist. Normal, and boring.
I have begun a multi-cultural lesson to try and shake their little snow-globes up a bit. I'm receiving a lot of interest so far. We'll see how the bosses like the lesson plans. Maybe I'll be celebrating my career for Dia de los Muertos.
Monday, October 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment